PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ops career- questions
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2009, 11:03
waco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Glen
I love aviation, I always have. I have spent the last 25 years in airline ops rooms. I have spent times in quite senior positions and plenty of time at the other end. On the plus side I have travelled extensively however these days I only just make a living.
Life in the ops room is not a career, it is just a job. It will go pear shaped because airlines go bust, merge, disappear etc and you have to follow the work which means living out of a suitcase and being away from your love ones.
My advice ? Study hard and join the professions or get a job with excellent transferable skills, save up and get yourself a ppl. Then enjoy flying for a hobby.
Airline ops is great, I have jump-seated some fantastic aircraft, but that does not pay the bills nor provide a pension that you will be able to live on at retirement. I for one will never be able to retire, despite putting considerable funds into poor company schemes.
The very best of luck mate. Oh and just have a look at the other threads and notice the highly experienced ops guys looking for work.
And finally...........If you think its not looking good in the airline business at the moment wait until winter time........it is going to be carnidge.