PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Takeoff Technique
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2009, 06:03
QJB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Takeoff Technique

Hi all,

I'm currently doing my CPL in Aus, flying 172RG. I've been thinking about this for the last few days. Normal takeoff technique that everyone teaches seems to be power up, check engine green, reaching around 60KIAS rotate and climb out at best rate. Logic being that when your engine quits you have the maximum possible height to work with.

However at the same time we are told to land on the remaining runway or straight ahead if the engine quits. Problem I've noticed is that even when I have a fair bit of runway remaining in front I've gained too much altitude to be able to safely bring the thing down and I'd probably just end up driving the thing into the trees at the end.

Wouldn't it be safer to reach rotate speed, stay low (in ground effect) and wait for the airspeed to pick up to normal cruise. That way if the engine quits you can just put it back down. Seems safer than a nice glide into the trees. Reaching the end of the runway pull up into a climb. Although you are at low altitude you have the benefit of extra speed, ie. extra kinetic energy to be converted into potential (altitude). So if the engine goes right before the end you can still gain height and land straight ahead.

Only a thought, happy to hear it ripped to shreds but try to go easy.