PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130 Water Landing- been tried?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 23:05
loadmasterC130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The C-130 picture

The posted picture is indeed the one I was referring to. Thanks for taking the trouble to share it.

I have no idea what the ditching procedures for a C-130 are; although most of my flights were over water, the subject of ditching was never discussed.

I am no pilot, but if I were and if I ever had to ditch an aircraft, I would jettison the cargo, dump the fuel if possible, and land in the direction the waves were moving. I realize that having the wind at the tail would make for a higher speed relative to the water below than landing into the wind.

It seems to me that if you try to land into the wind, although this would make for a lower impact speed with the water, it would also create a virtual assurance of hitting a wave head on, thereby caving in the cockpit windows. Plus, I believe it would subject the aircraft to stresses that would make it more likely to break apart before it came to rest.

It's too bad that the fellow who landed the C-130 shown in the photo isn't available to tell us how he did it.