PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 UK Flying Visit
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 20:59
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around 1630 today the A380 passed almost overhead my house on the south eastern edge of Bristol.

It then seemed to line up on to the approach path for BRS - the airport is about seven miles away.

Although I've previously seen a 380 on the ground at Filton and from a distance seen a 380 doing a fly past over the city of Bristol in the past, the aircraft today seemed so low one almost thought one could reach up and touch it.

Of course it wasn't that low but its size gave out an illusion.

I don't know whether it continued on approach for BRS to do a fly past the airport because it disappeared from my sight behind houses and trees. Just behind it was a KLM F 70, a Ryanair 738 and an easyJet 319, appropriately inbound to BRS from Toulouse.

Local press publicity reported the 380 as due to land at Filton after its UK tour before leaving for Toulouse tomorrow.

Its last tour visit was overhead BHX prior to arriving at Filton and there was no suggestion in the media that it would go near BRS which is to the south of the city with Filton on the northern edge.

I could savour the moment if some of the BRS anti expansionists who live in the villages under the flight path looked up and saw this giant passing overhead in the middle of a landing queue apparently (to them) bent on landing at BRS, although it was very quiet as my wife, who was also in the garden, remarked to me.