PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Old To Make My Dream Come True?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 19:18
BusinessMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petiule,

Purely my opinion; but I think there is a lot if sensible advice on thus thread. I'm sorry if it isn't what you want to hear but unless you have something solid job-wise lined up before you start then you are going to be extremely lucky if you can make this story have a happy ending by pursuing your dream. And that is being optimistic about it...

I am also older than most who start out in this industry and was, frankly, incredibly lucky to get in just before the door slammed on all newbies 18 months ago. When things were going well in the industry (2 years ago) age was still something that I had to convince employers would not be a problem. In the current environment it doesn't even matter ... because the jobs aren't there to be competing for. However, when things do pick up you will be at a disadvantage.

For me the dream of flying drove me to give up a successful career elsewhere and take the risks but the environment I did it in was radically different and I was lucky enough to be part-sponsored through training. I love what I do but can state categorically that the thought of having put all my money into pursuing the dream 18 months ago (without the job offer, as I was planning to do) now brings me out in a cold sweat - because I have so many friends from training who are sitting there asking themselves what to do next, with no job and no prospect of getting one anytime soon.

Good luck with whichever path you choose. BM