PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Air Corps - re-joining the Army, as a Pilot...
Old 5th Sep 2009, 18:39
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laser surgery - "LASEK"

I had the "expensive one" (with 20% discount for serving military), and passed my Class One JAA medical about 10 months later, after explaining to them I would need the VDF limitation (must wear corrective lenses) lifted from my Class Two.

The CAA medical staff even commented that, had I not mentioned having surgery, they probably wouldn't have noticed. The examining doctor even called his colleagues in to observe the lack of scar tissue, anomalies etc on my eyes.

I'd asked the Army medical officers about surgery during my basic training, and they never gave me a firm answer, simply that I shouldn't get it done. In the end, I went against them anyway (as I'd signed-off and thought I didn't have anything to lose) but did tell them afterwards, and was "down-graded" for a period of 12 months, and had to go for inspection/examination by an Army Ophthalmologist. I've heard rumours (rumors) that the US military aren't as backward in their thinking, and allow surgery... apparently the US Navy has their own eye surgery centre to provide operations to it's servicemen/women.

I know from experience (with none of the night vision issues mentioned, halo's around lights etc) that I would be a lot more capable Soldier now (that they have recovered fully, and are healed up) than I used to be wearing those hideous issue glasses, or struggling with contact lenses. It isn't like Dentistry, mostly a vanity issue. Wearing glasses is, in my opinion, a disability, so the fact that this operation can make you "normal" again, is a real success. The only snag I see, is the healing period afterwards (recommended 6 months to avoid damage) but once this is done away with, you have spot-on eyesight, so just what the issue is with the UK military, I don't know??

Hopefully the surgery will continue to develop (I think the first operation was less than 20 years ago??) and it will continue to prove itself over time, so that the MoD can change their ideas towards it.

Anyway, it's T -2 days until I go to the careers office to see if I have any hopes of being a military aviator, so I'll keep you posted.