PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WWII aircrew research advice request
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 15:48
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
This is for anyone who is attempting to research a relative from WW2 or earlier. I would advise you at some stage to use the services of a professional researcher. The internet will take you so far, but it is simply not true that individual records are available online. Certainly the National Archive is open to all, but to be honest it is a daunting prospect for the novice. There are many researchers who will undertake to do this work for surprisingly modest fees - certainly if you live anywhere out of the South East travel and accommodation costs would be in excess of any likely research charge. I have had many WW2 aircrew researched for me over the years and have obtained copies of F540 (squadron operational records with details of full crew, bomb loads carried and a wealth of fascinating details). There are some frustrating culs de sac, but in general it is amazing what can be found.

If anyone cares to contact me by PM I will pass on the details of researchers who I would recommend. By the way, I don't do this work myself, so I am not touting for business!