PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Old To Make My Dream Come True?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 11:57
chickentikkamasala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Old To Make My Dream Come True?

No you are not too old to TRY and make a dream come true.
However you are too old to TRY and make a dream come true with a bank loan.
Too fund a dream from a bank loan in this current climate is madness and stupidity. Unless of course the worldwide recession hasn't hit the Czech Republic.

Sorry to be blunt but you have to ask yourself why have you not thought of this dream before and decided to save up for it. The realities of being a pilot are sadly very different to those 10 years ago.

I would say at the moment just try and get your PPL and build some hours and try and fund this out of your own money. That way you get a taste for flying and know whether you want to commit further.

There have been far too may people like you who have been sold down the river by FTO's offering a dream for debt package which has helped to erode the T&C's at many airlines.

By all means have a dream and give it a try but not in exchange for debt, not at your age. There is taking a risk and there is stupidity.

Not only are we in the most severe downturn in the industry but we don't know in what state the industry will return too after. Will there be a cap on the age limit or will the industry return to the sponsored cadet route?
As well as those stated in other posts these are some of the questions you need to ask yourself before taking on a mountain of debt.

The dream may come true, however it may not. A dream with debt or a dream without debt. I know which I would choose.
If you haven't got any committments and you don't mind being in debt until 55 with or without a low paid TP job then go ahead and good luck to you.

Part of being a pilot at whatever level is dealing with reality. If you have looked around on this forum then you know what the realities are.