PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 catches fire on runway!
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 09:08
sky jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had just blocked in down at the domestic side and was still up on the com radio as we ran the checklist. I heard the follow me truck tell a VT-... aircraft that he had a fuel leak. I did not pay much attention as I thought it was a small GA aircraft on the other side of the field. I then heard the follow me guy state that it was a very large fuel leak and in a rising tone of voice to shut off the engines. Then he began to yell FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!, and I looked out my window to see what appeared to be the whole side of the 747 on fire with flames over the top of the aircraft and a large puddle of fuel on the ground burning. I turned to tell my FO to look and opened the side window to yell down to my ground crew to look over at it. Very soon after the fire trucks arrived and that is about where the video above picks up. I personally thought the fire crew did a great job. The AI crew may have had a few moments of hesitation as I don't think they knew it was them leaking at first. I mean as airline crew we are all used to being addressed by our flight number and not the reg #. All in all it looked like the AI cockpit crew did about as well as could be expected. As to the slides, I was looking from the back and left of the A/C and there was so much smoke and flame I can not really comment on the evac. They did have pax wandering around on the ground, but keeping pax together after leaving an airplane is like hearding cats even under the best of conditions.

Jet