PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-111G's retired.
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 03:56
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taildragger67

Taildragger67

Yes Milt will be sad to see them go.
During the acquisition of the F-111Cs, having made up my mind as Project Manager that they were indeed aircraft with very high potentials, I inspired my staff to keep them alive. I attended each rebirth during their recovery when electrical power was first reapplied and later saw them on their way to as far as Hickham AFB Hawaii.
Now in retirement I revell in the knowledge that those F111Cs have been such a significant asset to the RAAF and Australia. Still think of them as "my babies" and will be sad when they stop swinging their wings particularly considering their continuing extended performance which then goes to waste as they phase out.
Aren't they still irreplaceable?

Someone took a photo of me sitting in the cockpit soon after delivering the last one out of Texas to Sacramento CA. Thought it fitting to get another similar shot at the Avalon airshow this year. Took a bit of arranging but had forgotten how to enter the right seat. With my left leg inserted towards the left rudder pedal and then my butt on the seat I had my right leg hanging over the edge of the cockpit. An ungainly and embarrassing few minutes until someone was able to manoeuvre my leg inside!! Time between shots 35 years.

One now RIP at Point Cook and would like to see Temora and HARS at Albion Park offered one each for posterity.