PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accidents - 1953
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 17:45
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Meteor accidents.

K.Whyjelly was so right in his contribution, back in 2007.

>in the vain hope of getting a scarified young girl to seek protection in the strong manly arms of the hunky flightcrew!!!<

He referred, along with others, to the kindly apparition forced to spend his days terrifying any new cabin staff who used his old room in the west wing of the OM, now the St George Hotel.

I actually completed my Vampire night flying at M.St.G, whilst going through FTS at Linton in about October, 1962.

I was then subsequently detached regularly to Durham TeesValley Intergalactic Spaceport, (or MME to the cognicenti) whilst with an airline ( they paid more !), in the late 70s/early 80s.

On numerous occasions I have actually seen tears from female cabin crew when they found they couldn't have their allocated room changed and, yes, strong manly arms were often to be found around shuddering shoulders in efforts to console said stricken maidens !!
My, it sometimes took an awful lot of consolation......................

One of the "hunky flightcrew" back in such times was an ex-Meteor, then Sabre, driver called Barney Concannon.

Barney's claim to fame was that, after retiring from flying 707s and, in those days, DC9s, he wrote a novel.
I remember discussing this ambition in the bar, long before he actually wrote it and also how much time he actually spent researching the Meteor accident.

The book was published in 2001, by The Writers Cooperative, and was entitled "Black Billy".

It was an excellent read about the glory days of airline operation and, specifically, the tortured efforts of Black Billy (said ghost) to rid himself of his eternal travails.

Wonder if he's still there ??