PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking
Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 10:35
Bruce Wayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed it is, however different methods work for different people. i stopped a few years ago just by going cold turkey. i started again on the morning of sept 11, 2001 watching the TV. I had quit for 2 years.

Anyway thats an aside.

The medical problems associated with cigarette smoking are significant as is the damage to the lungs. Future Mrs. Wayne will gladly expound the damage to lungs and cardiovascular systems for you better than i ever will.

If you have done 3 days, then you have made a start, but something has caused you to revert back.

Stress, irritation, frustration, boredom... ???

The effects of withdrawal of nicotine from the system of a smoker can be significant.

Personally, this time around I tried patches and also zyban, the patches worked to replace the nicotine but was left fiddling with may hands a lot. Zyban dealt with the mood swing effect.

Yes I use the inhalator. it gave me the replacement for smoking as a break, however, smoking is what causes the damage, its easier to wean yourself off of the inhalators and the nicotine input when you are repulsed by smoking, the smell the damage to the body of inhaling carcinogens.

Thats if you do find yourself using them as a replacement for a cigarette.

The upshot is.. find what works for YOU.

Advice of don't do this or that is pretty much pointless. if sticking your head in a bowl of cold water stops you from having a cigarette, then do it.

For me, i tried a couple of different methods that worked for other people and didn't work for me. I went out bought a pack of inhalators, haven't smoked since. I do keep one on me and if the occasion arises that i would have one, like after a pub lunch, or sitting in traffic on the motorway, it works and i have no desire for a cigarette.

Don't get me wrong i'd prefer it, but being so dependent on something isn't it switching one habit to another?
uh huh. But one'll kill ya, the other wont !

You know what.. your doing fine. At this point, you have made the decision to give up. That's obvious, you started this thread about quitting, you're just trying to find the most effective way.

You've broken the psychological dependence, now it's just the physiologocal dependence.

Good for you. you'll do it.

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 4th Sep 2009 at 10:49.