PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 08:33
GMDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eTurboNews | Travel and Tourism Industry News

BY UNAL BASUSTA AND WIRES, ETN STAFF WRITER

BEA director Paul-Louis Arslanian, The director of the French agency investigating the crash of Air France Flight 447 said Monday that investigators could take at least a year-and-a-half to reach a conclusion.

The captain should be present in the cockpit while cruising thru this very strong thunderstorm passage.

Reading this article I could not clearly determine who of the two (Basusta or Arseline) did the last statement. Either way, it is sustaining one of my main concerns about inflight rest facilities and policies of many airlines.
If the captain, and this is meaning the most experienced or sometimes the only experienced on certain routes or the only aera-qualified, is to be on deck in certain difficult situations, then I agree 100%. But if they are confined into rest facilities in the back or the cargo cptmt of the aircraft, then they clearly cannot cope with such common sense requirement. The same applies to certain procedures that basically only allow the skipper to rest in the middle of a flight (t/o and ldg presence) and on most such routes the critical phase is mainly at this time (Himalaya, Ocean etc.).

The authors of such claims should really help us by building up pressure on airlines to review some rest policies and locations. Simply because most of such decisions are made for the profit or like EK having rest facilities adjacent to the cockpit REMOVED and replaced in the very rear of a long aircraft for passenger comfort reasons. I'd rather be safe than a little more confy!