PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flight planning and navigation software I've written
Old 4th Sep 2009, 07:51
HeliCraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a lovely piece of software - coming from someone who also writes it! Well done.

With a couple of minor tweaks, and possibly a few extra features which may require purchase / licencing, it will be my preferred choice easily - which I would happily pay for!

Couple of thoughts:

1. Really like the way Generate plan picks up relevant freq's for your route - although it does appear to miss out Farnborough Radar (I planned EGBE - EGLL, and although it picked up Brize Radar no F'borough - presumably because it isn't a nearby airfield?).

2. The ability to "schedule" a plan for the future would be nice. For instance if I wanted to fly to Sywell tomorrow, could I see NOTAMS that are relevant (and for tomorrow for instance there is RA(T) at Sywell), but I don't appear to be able to do this.

3. The software which comes with my FlyMap allows me to "drag" the course line, and thus create a way point. For instance to the edge of CAS in order to avoid it.

4. The ability to add a user defined way point is very helpful, especially for us heli-pilots for things like hotels and private sites. Is this what the "Insert Pin" function does on a right click? I can't see how.

5. Be really nice to double click on a airfield to see basic information (runways, freqs, etc) - even nicer if you could buy an electronic pooleys / afe subscription and see the plate; or maybe a link to the PDF on the NAT AIS / AIP site?

6. Maybe also the ability to purchase the CAA digital charts and use those - although the data used to generate the "map" does seem excellent.

7. Some way of permanently acknowledging the initial msg box re: don't rely on this - it could get annoying after a while.

8. Ability to print a zoomed in section of map; even nicer if linked with number 6!

None of this is meant as a criticism, obviously, but I do seem to have gone on a bit. Really really like it, excellent work - if you need any help / advice / ideas just PM me!

C.