PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Pilots of PPRuNe
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 01:30
IFMU

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mary meagher
Actually, I think that is a terrible idea. If they are under ten, they will be bored, and probably throw up.
I can't say I agree with this! I think it is important to ease into it, pick the right day, and not stay up for hours. I think it is also a very important part of the brainwashing.

If they are between ten and fourteen, they will want to learn, and still be too young to solo, and YOU are the wrong one to teach them!
We start our juniors between 12 and 13, so they can solo at 14.

If they are over 14, under 21, as above. Though probably more interested in the opposite sex by this time. Joining a youngster's group at your local club (like ours at Shenington) gives them friends and kindred spirits, and fully qualified instructors.
Amen to that! Plus having gliders as an interest is likely to keep them out of more troublesome interests. Lots of good role models at the glider club.

If your wife/girlfriend wants to fly with you, in a glider, once again you will probably put her off for life.
Here in the states, at least from my experience, your girlfriend will fly with you but your wife won't. Even if they are the same person separated only by time.

Same result as for the under tens.
Not my experience at all, either with my own kids or other people's kids.

-- IFMU