PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Busting airspace
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2009, 21:28
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
d.n.s.

Good point about CTA steps around Brisbane. I have found the Jepps database is VERY wrong to the North and West. I have not studdied every point on the charts, but there could be more errors.

When a major landmark is right between two step lines on eiether the map or GPS and its on the line on the other, in flight you can be unsure as to which side is which. Typing this now I am not sure which way around the error is.

What alerted me lately is the TSO'd GNS530W map is exactly the same. Maleny VOR and Kilcoy NDB are classic giveaways. The lines NW of MC also are wrong.

I have photographed and detailed a report to the Jepp folk and an investigation is under way. This could be part of the problem around Brisbane as some landmarlks V the map are not always easy, especially for visitors. So you rely on the airspace rings to confirm where you are relative to the map and ground. When the rings are so far out if you overlay one on the other it is like onions thrown on the BBQ .

So I do understand partly why you get 4 or 5 a day.

Other problem is ALT ENCODERS...... pumping out a higher Altitude than the a/c is at. I have seen that myself when an encoder started playing up.

J