PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2009, 21:11
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Beags, I notice that Mr Cameron says in his letter to you:
I do believe that the reputations of the two pilots deserve to be reinstated, as the Lords Select Committee recommended, and in the absence of any overwhelming argument presented to me as Prime Minister that is what I would do.
It seems to me that would be a case of "far too little, far too late". If that had been done at the very outset not only would those who have clamoured for such an outcome have been appeased, but all that has emerged since to explain why such a bizarre position was taken by the MOD and the RAF might never have come to light. Ironic then that the very cover up that followed has ensured that we now know that the Chinook Mk2 was granted a restricted RTS while suffering from very serious airworthiness shortcomings and that this was known by both organisations. A calculated risk was taken which backfired tragically and dramatically. That was the reality that drove the shameful machinations that followed. Instead of the BoI addressing the systemic failings that led to this accident, they were covered up and the blame laid on two deceased junior officers by the AMs' findings. As a result further airworthiness related accidents followed, Sea King, Hercules and Nimrod alone accounting for a further 31 avoidable deaths. What should have been done 15 years ago must now follow, a complete reform of UK Military Airworthiness Provision and Accident Investigation. Both functions must be wrested from the MOD and RAF respectively and placed into independent and professional hands. If Mr Cameron can see to that then some good will have come out of this blot to the honour of the RAF, if he cannot then more avoidable military air accidents and more needless deaths due to compromised airworthiness will surely follow.