PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk crashes on M11
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2002, 00:54
NoSurrender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tartan Giant

Thanks for taking the bait.
Imagine if the situation was reversed. Imagine if a military truck enthusiast whose life evolved around driving his 30 ton Scammel Constructor up and down the motorway at the weekend lost control and crashed through a perimeter fence into an airfield, the results could be rather nasty and no doubt there would be a press backlash against part time LGV enthusiasts. If the L39 had hit a 22500 litre tanker thats was being followed by a coach full of school kids, we would have a very different story, one that would probably lead to the demise of private jet flying in this country. Having been blessed with the oportunity to fly in a JP myself I would not like to see this happen.
Surely after the incident at Northolt a few years back when a poor builder had his transit van wrecked in a similar incident we could of expected the building of barriers at the end of runways that lead onto roads, and also the erection of Armco barriers along roads that go past airfields, surely that's just (un)common sense.
I do not wish to appear insensitive to the family of the deceased, I just get annoyed when authorities fail to act on previous incidents and bury their heads in the sand, hoping that history will not repeat itself.

Last edited by NoSurrender; 4th Jun 2002 at 02:49.