PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking
Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2009, 02:44
JimR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree that it is very much a mental attitude. I have again stopped smoking! Have done several times before; gave it up for 10 years once. Problem is that it is sooo good.... that cigarette after a meal; relaxing in the evening, or even having one while being completely lost on one of those first cross countries (seemed to cool the nerves and settle things down a bit). Severly frowned upon now of course. It is very, very difficult to forget the pleasure. Cutting down doesn't work. I was down to less than 5 sometimes 2 a day. Problem was I kept looking at my watch looking forward to the next one.
What really pushed me over the top was the British Heart Foundation "Fatty Cigarettes" advert; absolutely disgusting and nauseating, highly recommended. Just think of one of the advert scenes when the desire creeps up and it completely (for me) dispels any craving. Oh the pleasure thoughts come back now and then (they will never ever completely disappear, but that's life, and not just cigarettes); however, they do fade slowly away.
Best of luck!