PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Kenley
Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 22:44
KeithChandler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I joined 615VGS Kenley in 1975 and have never left, and I took Command of the VGS in 2005. As you can imagine I have developed an extensive knowledge of the the Airfield since and numerous photos.

I would just like to correct an earlier post regarding the RAF disposing of the site, this has never been on the agenda as Kenley is by deed of an air ministry act of 1932 one of the most secure (from a tenure point of view) airfield the RAF operate from, as the lease with the City of London who own about 80% of the freehold is free and un-ending all the time the the RAF continue its use. ( I would like to see someone try to right a clause like that now!)

Not only that, if the RAF were to terminate its use the land would revert to common land which you cant build on without an act of parliament changing its status, so its well down any development list behind green fields, brown fields, green belt and national parks!

The biggest threat to aviation (gliding) ceasing at Kenley is the high risk of an accident caused by wayward pedestrians walking about all over the site in front of landing gliders and the winch believing it to be be common land and their right.

In 2006 the Council said we could erect a 4ft high fence around the outer edge of the perimiter under permitted development rules, so the fence was purchased and contractors appointed, on the week they started work the Council withdrew the permitted development rights and a planning application was submitted and subsequently refused.

A second appliaction for a different style of fence was submitted in 2008 but that has also been refused this year

Also in 2008 the HSE said we need a fence to continue operating

We are currently trialing pedestrian barriers at the high risk areas and hopefully these will be the final solution that satisfies all concerned.

Meanwhile the MOD are persuing the Council to recover the cost of the first fence (£110k ish) which sits in my compound

If anyone has any specific questions ask away I'll try to help, if I dont know I can usually find someone who does, since I've seen it from most angles in 35 years and 10,000 launches!