PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Head Concerned With Cockpit Experience
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 13:00
M80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost in translation

AirRabbit - sorry, it appears that something is getting lost in the translation. I was attempting to express that instructors don't just pound out the hours in the circuit. I think that view does FIs a great injustice of their role in aviation, and felt it was a viewpoint you were furthering. As I said previously, I've never instructed and also had some poor instructors. Having said that, I've had some inspiring and great instructors and owe them a great deal, as I imagine we can all say.

To summarise my two cents:
  • 1st cent
    The MPL may well be the industry saviour, as you propose. It will be a much more appropriate qualification when/if the airlines find a shortfall of flightcrew and are required to sponsor training to meet their demand. Perhaps that's what you're also proposing and I've misunderstood? In the meantime, commercial pilots involved in air charter, air taxi and instruction are plentiful enough to fill the void - although less economically attractive.

• 2nd cent
    I find it concerning that some aspiring pilots seem to feel that a generic MPL would be an excellent idea. Surely this misconceives the entire pretext of the MPL? How would a generic MPL be more suited to the industry than a CPL?

Hope that clears up the confusion.