PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Plans (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 09:32
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left-whingers really need to grow up for the sake of the county I once loved. I left blighty 10 years ago and I am amazed at how far behind London has gone compared to the world. Things here in HK are as bad as I have seen it but I would never request a base back in the UK and would never dream about going back – apologies.

Tall skyscrapers and developments have been refused planning permission because some environmentalist is worried about the effect on the planet or some brown-nose on Hampstead Heath is worried about their view of St Pauls Cathedral being blocked etc.

The point is Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted can cope with Domestic flights into and out-of London and can cope with resident British people flying internationally on their holidays. Also bear in mind that Rail is very much becoming the preferred mode of domestic travel. So why the need to expand? Well any major western city and even in South East Asia needs a hub - The flagship of the country. And the London is at serious risk from being outdone by Schipol, CDG and Frankfurt.

Those opposed to Heathrow expansion would argue that these transit passengers (apart from the travel taxes etc) would be of no use to the economy as they are within the terminal building and not spending their cash in London shops etc. But this is clutching at straws in order to provide an opposing argument. Countries have been made great by ports – shipping ports or airports. If people travel there, you make the location attractive for investment and business and this is what is worth billions of pounds to the UK.

I know we need to look after the environment and planes are pouring out tons of CO2 blah blah blah. Fair enough. But guys listen. We have two choices. Do we maintain a strict environmental policy that hampers the UK economy and development and hope other countries like China and USA follow suit so things balance out? Or do we say to hell with what might happen in 25’000 years time and let’s look after what’s happening now. Remember, when the end of the world comes, whether it is down to zero-resources or China using up all of our fuel, then the whole world dies. UK won’t be sitting pretty just because they never bought a third runway or because they didn’t build a skyscraper blocking tower of London views.

The UK needs to stop all this mumbo-jumbo living in the 50s BS and start living in the 21st Century.

I remember during my GCSE history that Christopher Wren had drawn a layout of how he wanted to develop London once St Pauls had been built.. All streets were widened, the road/path layouts were in grids (like Manhattan is now) and were straight and it looked brilliant. It seemed though that even back then, many were opposed to this type of development. Seems cultures haven’t changed in the last 400 years so I doubt they will change anytime soon.

I fear for Britain. I really do. I’ll be there Thursday morning. I wonder what good news there will be in the Daily Mail when I get there.