PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any point ?
Thread: Any point ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 14:56
batty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up a good job that drove me nutts and ploughed £50k into the business when I was 33. I didnt even have a PPL to start with!! I had done about 20 hours just to make sure that it was what realy what I wanted and thought it would be (saying that I had always wanted to be a pilot since I was about 5 but didnt have the money till I got to be an old fart)

I had a wife and a little girl of two plus a healthy mortgage to support! I spent 15 months at OATS and managed to get through pretty much unscathed. My wife and daughter stuck by me and were a great help even though they both got pretty peed off since they were down in Cornwall for the duration and I was up in Oxford. I didn't feel I could have a family and give the study the focus it needed if I was living at home and I think I was right.

Where am I now you may ask, well I graduated Febuary 2001 and was one of the luck guys who managed to get a job almost immediatly, and a jet one at that! I now have a years commercial flying under my belt, over a thousand hours, and LOOK FORWARD to going to work every day.

Was it worth it? Yes
Would I do it again? Yes
Did I know what I was getting into at the time? No, I didnt realise how difficult it was to get a job I was just realy lucky
Was it the same as my original expectations? No, it was better!!

Your not too old, give it a go if its realy what you want. Don't let the doom mongers get to you, but do go into it with your eyes wide open.

Good luck to you!!