PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest with AeroLogic (German 777F Operator)?
Old 1st Sep 2009, 20:00
SMT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know of a EAT 757 TRI/TRE (+15K hours) who applied and was rejected. Most EAT 757 guys I know didn't even bother applying - it was always in the cards that AeroLogic would be crewed from outside both EAT/DHK and LH. The un-official justification (for EAT/DHK crew) would be lack of German skills - the AL flight-deck is fully crewed by German speakers. For LH crew it would entail an erosion of T&Cs.

A previous post mentioned high-time FOs. Yes, there's some of those in AL. But there's a much larger number of younger guys with not much more than the required minimas. Guess what, besides obviously being qualified for the job, they also speak German fluently and are not tainted by LH or DHL experience.

AL is, to a large extent, crewed by former LTU drivers - very experienced and also very nice and easy going guys. As previously mentioned, the CP is ex. LTU, hence the preference. Fair enough, his toy and all that. Hand on heart, who wouldn't?

As for LCAG pilots wanting the spoils, that's a bit harder to fathom. The present route flown by AL is from the Joint Venture. The JV was supposed to end this July, but has been extended on one route (EUR-US) for one more year. 75% of the freight on the present AL route is DHL.

The utilisation of the B777s is, and will continue to be, 5/7th DHL and 2/7th LH, and the costs split likewise.

Future routes (or at least 5/7th of them) will be DHL routes, and will not spawn from any previous LH route. LH may buy positions on a block-space agreement for those route if they wish to do so. This effectively leaves the aeroplanes doing a spot of week-end flying under LH control.

However, MD11F still seem to think it's fair to claim that LCAG pilots are somehow entitled to fly, at least 50% of, an aircraft that is predominantly kept occupied by DHL, flying DHL routes carrying DHL freight (well, at least 77% of the time) paid 77% by DHL.

All I can say to that, is our perceptions of "fair" are somewhat different.

From my perspective, I believe AL should have been crewed by a mixture of DHL and LH crews. I also think that would have been a very interesting experiment, but being professionals and all it could have been made to work. Alas, nobody asked me and so that didn't happen, and such is life.