PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk crashes on M11
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 12:33
Tartan Giant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy L-39 fatal

May I start by sending my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the dead pilot, Gary Clark. Our thoughts are with you all.

No Surrender
You are a disgrace for uttering such insensitive sentiments.
A poor bloke dies and you whinge about a minor traffic jam you were not even involved in. If you are a pilot, you don’t deserve to be. A public apology is in order.

Lou Scannon
I think you have hit the nail on the head and have the right attitude; let’s all stand back and let other professionals find out what went so terribly wrong.

L-39’s egress system
Assuming the seat was the original L39/VS-1 BRI one, then according to the graphs I have seen (http://www.l39.com/Ejection%20Seat%20Envelop.htm) the seat is NOT “zero-zero”.

I think there’s a telling paragraph that shows what could go wrong,
“One of the most common discrepancies John has noted during inspections, is the improper routing of the Canopy/Seat Unblock cable. In the example given, John stated that the seat would fire at the same time as the canopy. This would result in a pilot/canopy collision just above the aircraft with fatal results most likely. (This cable normally allows the canopy to clear the aircraft before the seat catapult fires)”.

I will close with head bowed for the poor pilot.

RIP

TG