PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belize 1990
Thread: Belize 1990
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2009, 08:54
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 466 Likes on 246 Posts
Hunting Key was one HLS where the tail stuck out over the sea because the beach was very narrow and the palm trees were almost to the water's edge.

We used to take some army plus a local policeman, IIRC, for some R&R (barbeque) most weekends (them, not us). After they overloaded my Puma and we almost went into the trees at Rideau camp, we reviewed just how much stuff they were taking. The "overload" was the pair of big black metal containers which were supposed to contain some ice, drinks and food but they had kept topping them up as the ice melted - they were almost full of water and weighed lots!

There was no bottom LS at Cadenas in my time there. Cadenas overlooked the main road up into N. Guatamala and also an engineers' camp so it was a very important place for an OP. If my memory is correct it was 13 mins from Rideau by Puma. Some of the terrain in between looked a bit rough in places so I once asked the SAS how long it would take to walk home. He reckoned up to three weeks in the wet season as it was mainly mangrove swamp.