PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Safety report
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2009, 03:35
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cp;
Is there a sub culture that might view 'diverting around weather' to be'somewhat of a pussy/coward' and do you think there may have been a subconcious need for the younger pilots to 'prove we can DO THIS' and ride through the storm?
No.

If anything may have been at play with any encounter with a thunderstorm (and not diverting around it), it would be the perception of risk/danger through a clear understanding of what the radar returns were indicating. From experience, I know there is a wide range of such understanding in new-hires and veterans alike. Part of that picture is training, standards and checking at an airline. In fact, that is the very reason I posted a long discussion on the use of radar right at the beginning of the second thread on AF447. Others added to the knowledge-base on that thread which I think was really the finest demonstration of professionalism at work.

We cannot possibly know of course if this factor played a part.

In AF447 you had a very experienced pilot, close to the end of his flight career at 58 with a lot of experience but less experienced in that particular aircraft than the copilot
The difference is not material. Like most who fly, I have flown with those less, and those with more time on the particular equipment. Within a hundred hours (hard time) on type, (two months, roughly) and given the kind of training one is offered during a type certificate/IFR, one knows the airplane well enough.

That doesn't mean one can play the airplane like a pianist plays a concerto on grand piano. It means that the differences in experience are largely immaterial. It is simply "time in" that really counts.

In the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell the author posits a 10,000hr "bench-mark" at which point something becomes part of oneself, intuitively. I wouldn't suggest the same for airline pilots but nor do I consider a thousand hours in anything doing any kind of flying, "experienced".

PJ2