PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA's revised GAAP procedures.
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 21:29
Polymer Fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my lovely first experience with the new regulations last week.

Waiting for a CTA departure in the run-up bay I received the call to taxi to the holding point "without delay". Hoping to get a speedy departure after hanging out in the bay for 5 minutes I moved off only to be promptly cut off by another aircraft who started to taxi out of the bay just after I'd received the call to the holding point (which is another matter all together about airmenship and people listening out on ground).

I ended up waiting at the holding point for 15 minutes. At times even though there was nobody on base or final but I wasn't being allowed to move because of what I assume to be congestion in the zone. I was sitting there listening to every man and his dog reporting in from PSP and TWRN. At one stage the tower had enough of a gap in transmission to apologise and remind me that I hadn't been forgotten. This wouldn't have been so much of a problem except that I had to stop the plugs from fouling up (more of an issue related to idiotic company regulations that an aircraft SHOULDN'T have the mixture leaned under any conditions).... after 5 minutes there was a noticable RPM drop more than what I was experiencing when I was doing the run-ups. I ended up sitting at the holding point with very sore legs from holding onto the brakes because I had to keep the RPM up. Never before have I run through the EFATO brief in my head so many times before take-off.

Engine problems from holding on the ground can only get worse in summer if this is going to be par for the course. What is going to happen to aircraft that are sitting around waiting in 40 degree heat? What about the meat bag flying the thing sitting in the hot box swealtering in an airless environment under the open sun?