PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going North to Kirkwall
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 18:39
Scotsheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Stephen,

Out of curiosity, what type are you going to be flying?

Watch the mountain wave if you've not been up here that often (forgive me if you have!); anything 20+ from the west or southwest will produce a nice wave, particularly for any leg along the Moray coast west of Banff and north to Helmsdale.

On my patch Lossie is generally closed at the weekends but Kinloss will be active for light aircraft and gliders - give them a call if you're passing close to the MATZ and they'll tell you what traffic is where. There is also a gliding site at Easterton, just south of Elgin which is one to watch out for.

Aberdeen radar will give you a service to approximately mid way to Inverness (so just after Huntly on your plog) and then you'll be in range for Inverness. Inverness radar are usually very helpful so if you intend to cross the Moray Firth i'd recommend doing that from just east of Nairn (as per your plog) and give Inverness a call to let them know that you're crossing from that point. This will keep you well away from their inbounds and they'll usually keep an extra eye on you until you're past Invergordon and back over dry land.

My only other precaution would be to pack some extra feet on the leg north between Golspie and Hemsdale, where the craggy stuff meets the water - just in case it goes quiet.

Oh, and watch Wick's opening hours at weekends - last time I looked they closed mid afternoon on a Sunday!

Otherwise have a great flight and enjoy some of the best scenery in GB. If you get a chance to do some island hopping on Orkeny, Westray to Papa is a great flight. Don't blink mind.

Happy Landings,

Scots