PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 17:50
aguadalte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling and Training

How on earth were Airbus crews trained for such a situation up to today?
I had my SIM Training today.
One of the things we had to deal with was, en-route ADR2 failure, followed by ADR disagreement due to Volcanic Ashes...and Double Engine Failure (A330), due to the same reason. Attitude, Attitude, Attitude (all Pitots blocked by ashes).
It seems an improbable situation. (yeah, sometimes a guy has to think twice before leaving home) But, when the "Gods" are against us, s**t happens...and it ended up with the Ditching Paper Check-List...
We also had the opportunity for a Double Hydraulic (G and B) Failure, Emergency Descent, Double FM Failure during SID at SBGR, Side Step Landing from Rwy 22R to Rwy 29 on a Direct Law and overweight status in KEWR, (just for the fun and for the handling training), abnormal attitude recovering and All Engine Out (forced) Landings.
There is a lot to do and to train. Always aiming for the benefice of experiencing without the "fear of failure", that most of us may feel during Check-Ride Sessions.
I have learned a lot during my four hour training sessions. I usually do.
And I thank my company for understanding the importance of those "training sessions".