PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 14:36
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....We expect to pick this up at 13.6d from the IBA. I will fly the approach with the automatics in initially. We should pick up the glide from 1500 ft at around 5.5d IBA (or more likely work back depending on what they normally clear you to start the approach from at Ibiza, at 1900' at 6.7d perhaps, or say 2200 ft at around 8d or whatever). The check altitudes are based on the IBA VOR. Its a standard 3 degree glide, with a minima of 218 ft, 550m (check its set up), with a go-around gradient of 3% which we can make on one engine. The gradient is due to a couple of obstructions either side of track so will make sure we stay on course. If we do go missed, I will apply TOGA power, call go-around flap, positive climb, gear up, then climb to 2000' on the heading - 243 - then a left turn back to IBZ NDB climbing to 3000 ft to hold. This is all in the box and so will be flown using managed nav. If we continue to landing I will use medium autobrake and idle reverse. I will be aiming to exit at (exit point). The runway length and slope is XXX. Fuel reserves - 1st alternate - weather and initial track.
You really actually verbalise all this?
Now, some may think that I am 'too brief', yet the above is the opposite....much too long-winded, and if the First Officer mentioned all this, I would have serious doubts about his ability...

Odd that you should mention Cali. That accident would seem to be the poster child for not "tossing it down on the center console, and saying...any questions?"
Negative, the 'briefing' wasn't the problem, not understanding the automatics and actually flying the airplane most certainly was.