PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 13:56
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is hilarious. There have been 71 posts. Yet no-one has just done a simple "say this" approach briefing for the plate in question!!!!

I feel really sorry for airyana if he is a new FO who is just asking how the airlines brief normally for the approach......

But I think airyana has given up as no-one has yet answered his question in a simple straightforward way!!! We all know that we would amend things depending on who we are flying with and whether we've just done the last 24 sectors with them into the same field etc.etc. but lets assume not. I don't know IBZ, having only been there a couple of times a long time ago but on first glance....

"I am looking at plate 11-1, 28 Sep 01 the Lctr ILS for runway 24. MSA is 2800ft based on the IBZ NDB. The approach is based on the IBZ 109.5 with a final course of 243 (and check both set up). Airport elevation is 23' with the threshold at 18' (good time to check the Airbus landing elevation figure). Transition alt is 6000'. Weather is XXX and tech status is XXX. The initial approach fix is based on the IBA at 20 miles and we need to be at or above 4000'. We will be expecting radar vectors....or.... course of 233 to 16dme, min 2200', then left turn onto track 196 to pick up the inbound course of 243. We expect to pick this up at 13.6d from the IBA. I will fly the approach with the automatics in initially. We should pick up the glide from 1500 ft at around 5.5d IBA (or more likely work back depending on what they normally clear you to start the approach from at Ibiza, at 1900' at 6.7d perhaps, or say 2200 ft at around 8d or whatever). The check altitudes are based on the IBA VOR. Its a standard 3 degree glide, with a minima of 218 ft, 550m (check its set up), with a go-around gradient of 3% which we can make on one engine. The gradient is due to a couple of obstructions either side of track so will make sure we stay on course. If we do go missed, I will apply TOGA power, call go-around flap, positive climb, gear up, then climb to 2000' on the heading - 243 - then a left turn back to IBZ NDB climbing to 3000 ft to hold. This is all in the box and so will be flown using managed nav. If we continue to landing I will use medium autobrake and idle reverse. I will be aiming to exit at (exit point). The runway length and slope is XXX. Fuel reserves - 1st alternate - weather and initial track. Any questions, anything to add, anything I've missed....."