PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Flap setting in Gusty x-Wind Conditions
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 08:44
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Numptoid

3. The stalling angle of attack (critical angle) generally decreases for conventional (subsonic) aerofoils as flap is lowered (although coef. lift increases). Thus you have reduced protection from the dreaded 'vertical gust.'
Not sure I follow this. At a particular lift coefficient, what would seem to matter is the difference between the AOA required in that configuration and the stalling AOA. From the plots I've found in Abbott and von Doenhoff, it looks as if there's slightly more margin with flap than without. Certainly the stalling AOA decreases, but the AOA for approach speed is lower still.

FF

Oh and a word on wing down technique...it doesnt encessarily mean the wing is 'down'. As I just said unless the X-Wind becomes extreme the a/c actually remains wings level - even though you have aileron applied.
Now you are confusing me. How can you have aileron (and presumably opposite rudder to stop it turning) applied with the wings level?