PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2001, 07:47
Ignition Override

Question

OK, it's late and I just skimmed over the last two pages of this topic, having read the previous pages, and again, have never received any training on any Airbus type.

Aside from the interesting aspects of fly-by-wire, when a plane encounters an unexpected/variable sink rate on final approach, can the A-320 throttles be pushed forward enough to reduce the sink rate (i.e. 1500 fpm) without activating the TOGA (go-around) mode? Can't you click a button, and just push them up a good bit like on 727s and DC-9s?

Let's say that you suddenly encounter a loss of 10-15 knots on short final while the quartering headwind is 20 gusting to over 30 knots-can you quickly increase the power and still be in whatever is the normal landing throttle mode?

I have no idea when most A-320 (etc) pilots disconnect autothrottles-on the 757 it was our option, but most waited until no more than a few miles out or maybe 2,000 AGL etc for CAT 1 and visual approaches (I preferred flying ILS approaches in the VOR mode on the HSI in order to watch the LOC bar "come alive", planning to go back to the old technology).

Not picking on Airbus here, just curious.