PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Cessna 150/152 Texas Taildragger
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 07:46
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure I have a clear understanding of Chuck's point.

With the standard main gear (as opposed to the extended version) the mains are less extended and it is more likely that the tailwheel could touch first. The mains would hten come down and the effect would be to reduce AoA and hence lift so the mains would stay down.

With the extended main gear I would expect there to be a greater possibility of the mains touching first and the tailwheel continuing to descend. This would increase AoA and hence lift and make it more likely you'd fly again.

Or am I missing something?
I see your point Mike. However, the other way of looking at it is that with the shorter legs, a three point attitude can be achieved on landing at a higher airspeed, therefore increasuing the chances of a small increase in headwind sending the a/c skyward again.

With longer main legs, by the time the pilot has flared long enough to be getting near to the three point attitude his AOA is such that he is well below potential flying speed and remains well clear of a any small gusts lifting him airborne again.

Either way, the 150/152 TT has always been on my "if I could have 5 aircraft in a hangar" list and will stay there too.