PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206: JetRanger and LongRanger
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2009, 02:11
BlenderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTibbals53
Blender wrote: "at High DA's I would much rather go on the L3 as the L4 gets a little dangerous with the TR situation."

I think you have that reversed. The High Altitude TR is the fix for the LTE problem inherent with the L-1/L-3.

It is a bit more sensitive than the L-3 tail rotor, but I much prefer having the authority.

JMHO
Dear DT,

What I meant is that I WITHOUT the High Altitude Tail Rotor Kit, which is OPTIONAL on the L3 and L4, at altitude, say 10K DA, I would rather be in an L3 over an L4, even if the latter has more power.

The L4 has more power, but at altitude you cannot use it safely as the TR does not have enough authority to counteract torque at high power settings, if you are in an L4 say at 8,000 feet with a DA of 10 or 11 thousand, you can be pulling around 75-80% torque at a hover, but you will have the pedal about an inch or less from the stop, imagine in this situation what would happen if you takeoff from an elevated helipad and pull just a little more power?

You will spin! and have no way to stop the spin other than reducing power, or diving for airspeed! I really hate that!!! So that is why I prefer the L3 over the L4 even if the L3 has less power, it's just more controllable.

Unfortunately the most L4's do not have the High Altitude Tail Rotor Kit installed, since it's an expesive option which you don't get to enjoy unless you fly at altitude.

You mentioned that the optional Kit is Bells solution to the L1 and L3, but it's more for the L3 or L4 and it makes no sense to be installed on the L1, because the L1 has little power thus the TR can handle the job given, since there is less torque to counteract.

Regards