PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Safety report
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2009, 14:56
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All is not lost however, the unity and resolve shown by the pilots in demanding new pitot probes is an example of a more proactive approach I hope.
Cessnapupp...................;by God, you've gone to the dark side )

Unity and resolve is something I have never seen when it comes to french unions.
Bickering ??? Plenty.
" Thou shall not covet thy neighbour's member " simply does not apply.
Had the situation not been so tragic, I would have rolled on my back reading the outrageous claims of " having saved the day " some made, even live on the tele.
As a member of the most representative union ( at least by numbers ) I can tell you these guys closed the door to the stable once the horse had already bolted.

You have a point with your tyre and NTSB thing.
Mr Above post, AF didn't get away with it, they lost an aircraft, a crew, 98 passengers and a great deal of their reputation. Nobody got away with anything I'd say.

Can we go center field here ?
What are we exactly debating ?? I thought it was AF or even french safety culture and ability to operate complex technology. Some even implied we were so goofy we couldn't operate a toaster. Some others marvel at our nuclear plants ( let me tell you no one marvels round about Cherbourg where the water almost glows in the dark ) our TGV and our health system...........which by the way is turning to complete crap. But, that's beside the point.
I tried to explain, in my very humble opinion, where part of the problem may come from and it is certainly a lot more complicated than that.
I very much believe in my boat and crew story ( see above ) and the lack of management purposely displayed all these years to achieve a greater goal....................if that makes any sense because it almost doesn't to me !
A valid point however has been made earlier. France has indeed a Mandarin culture in the industrial world and remembering my early years as a school boy, freedom came when I was sent abroad.
The system was very rigid and questioning your elders absolutly not tolerated.
So yes, in a big industrial outfit like AF or National railways, speaking out requires some courage and this leads to slow down in the decision making process. Nuclear plants ?? I suppose they are so scared to blow us to Mars that they are really extra carefull. Dunno.
Non pun intended, but around a pool, give me well behaved french kids instead of ( sorry, it's going to sting a bit ) noisy little american brats.

Taking into account the loss of 22 hulls in....................zxuze moi ????
1940 ????
Do you have an idea of what kind of stuff was flying in those days, not that I was born ??? Just looking at the pictures makes me freak. 22 was probably an outstanding record for the time.

I think we should start looking post war, let's say 60's ??
In the 60's, with the kind of culture I just described, it came clear there was a problem that needed to be adressed, and fast. Almost all the skippers then had joined right after the war logging...............well, zero time as an F/O. Straight from heaven !! They got to fly all the new toys coming on the market right to the Concorde and many of them turned out to be tyrans. Pan Am wasn't any better, according to a fantastic book " Sky Gods " written by an ex Delta Skipper.
Some are now dead tyrans having slammed at least 2 707's in a mountain directly related to poor CRM.
When I joined, AF hadn't had a hit in 20 years. This brings me back to my merger theory.
Over to you...............and please, leave Asseline in his dark closet.

Last edited by Me Myself; 30th Aug 2009 at 17:18.