PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The Ambidji Report – CASA should get their money back!
Old 30th Aug 2009, 14:54
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I SAY AGAIN....NOWHERE IN THE AMBIDJI REPORT DOES IT RECOMMEND CHANGES TO THE OPERATIONS OF GAAP IN THE SHORT TO MEDIUM TERM!

Make GAAP ICAO D and it is all over. Just revert back to the tried and true procedures that have done this country well for the last 28 years or more.

GAAP doesn't mean it is OK to change to FAA D just leave us with what we have got...it works!

Philosophy...regulation and training...instill a culture of safety....AIRMANSHIP.

Something I have always thought... AIRMANSHIP begins and ends in the command seat....it is not the responsibility of the Minister...no matter how hard the safety managers try to spin it.

Current situation is crazy but....Airmanship is prevailing...and who is responsible for that?

Leadsled, in a way, I agree with you. Airmanship is hard to judge on risk assesments....Put it another way, you can asses the risk of using a piece of hardware...you cannot asses the risk of the operator using the hardware because you cannot possibly come up with every outcome of how a person reacts to a situation...you can only trust their training.

Ultimately parachuting is an intolerable risk because a single failure can have a guaranteed catstrophic outcome...yet common sense and airmanship says otherwise...you trust the training of the skydiver to follow the procedure.