PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USALPA Troubles
Thread: USALPA Troubles
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 02:12
A-V-8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DownIn3Green

Actually, still here, just flying and don't have a regular schedule to hit the 'net....For the next four days posts will be irregular.....Really don't like this domestic USA flying but because of legalities they dropped a London trip and substituted this domestic trip...

Still can't seem to find the words that to express to you and others that it is not ALPA that negotiates the contracts, but the local people from the airline that do the work...From the contract negotiations that I have been involved in, they have ALWAYS be the the product of local pilots, ALPA just provided the contracts of other airlines so we could see where the average was.

I'll try another allegory. Here in the US the United States Army they have switched their recruiting logo from "Be All You Can Be" to "An Army of One." Really, that is all a Union is. ALPA is not a omnipotent goverment, but the "glue" that holds individual airlines together for labor problems. The Union is the power of each individual with each other.

Still think that MOST regional pilots don't have the balls to improve their working conditions. Allthough as this thread progresses I realize at least the guys who are filing the Lawsuit are at least apart in that they picked up the ball and and started to do something, which is a refresher from the norm. I don't agree with what they do, but at least those FEW individuals are doing something.

Somehow I would like to turn this thread from Unions being the problem to that of corrupt Management being the problem. And uneducated/weak/ pilots enabling their abuse of their employees.

To me, the regional pilots in employment plight of low wages and poor working conditions is a classic case of the abused enabling the abuser. No different than when a wife lets her husband hit her the second time....

bh