PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thanks Qantas
Thread: Thanks Qantas
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2009, 09:38
forgetabowdit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many young people decided to become pilots because of a vist to the flight deck in days gone bye?
I did. No doubt about it. I had always loved commercial aeroplanes from when I was very young, but what cemented it for me, what really made me WANT to commit 3 years of uni, +$60,000 and 8 years away from family and friends in G.A. was several visits to the flight decks of Qantas and Ansett aircraft.

Now that I sit in the same seat as those blokes I aspired to be like, I do whatever I can to encourage young guys and girls to get to see the flight deck - if they want to. When I was young, I always used to look for any opportunity to bypass the cabin crew who I thought couldn't possibly understand how much I wanted to see the flight deck, and for that reason now, where possible I stand behind the cabin crew and say goodbye and thanks to all the pax as they disembark, especially looking for younger kids that look eager.

Sometimes we're tired, sometimes the landing didn't come off just the way you would have liked (probably coz old mate did it!) and you just want to go home, but where possible I'm there.

It is a true shame that the flightdeck is now off limits during flight. It essentially de-humanises the job and I am certain that it fails to turn young kids' curiosity into a tangible and truley possible career path.

Anyway, until it changes and I doubt it will ever to be honest, I'm the one in the red jet waving at kids up against the glass trying to 'pay it forward' from the many blokes that inspired me. I know I'm not alone. We should all keep it up (and I know that many do) and remember where we came from and think about the type of people that us as pilots want to attract to our airlines in 5 - 10 years time.