PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream - How realistic?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2009, 08:53
powdermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it IS hard, but remember it can and does happen! Some have to wait a long time for a first job, some work their way from commercial flights on light twins etc etc. I was lucky and got 2 interviews within 2 months of finishing my training ( MCC) BUT I had friends in the industry. One made a call for me and I got the call within 10 mins the other interview was because I worked for the company on the ground as baggage handler and then check-in/boarding agent, I got to know the faces in the company and the chief pilot was one of my MCC instructors, so when a position became available, I got called. I was lucky in one sense as at the time the industry was in full swing a couple of years ago, but I also made sure that I was in a position to get to know people. Never thought until I did my first line flight that I would ever be a pilot, even after completing the type rating course for the airline!!! However when the industry is bad.....its REALLY bad! By the time you finish hopefully the upturn will be in full swing! As far as getting a degree...well it's not a must, and if you have the time and the money and the dedication then by all means, but it will take you a couple of years to get all your pilot licences together....I know aircraft engineers who fell right back into that role when they lost their jobs flying and so were able to keep working and supporting families so having something else is not a bad thing! Good luck