PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream - How realistic?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2009, 08:31
wangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muser,
Look for a cadet program with one of the Middle east airlines. Check out FLIGHT publication every month. Getting a first job nowadays with a fresh licence is like winning a lottery. Yes somebody will, but the odds are against you. Saudi Arabian is recruiting now, for example. I believe F/O requirements are around 2500 hours with 1000 on glass-cockpit mulit-crew, jet.
I work in the industry, and I'm not convinced an aviation degree will help you. All management of airlines and handling agents have worked their way up through the ranks. Not things you'll learn in a classroom I'm afraid.
Chase the dream, but be aware that it's difficult. I've been job hunting for nearly two years with not a SINGLE interview. Add that to 4 years training (I worked full-time) and I've spent 6 years I'll never get back. I would actually go back in time and never do it given the choice.
I was unrealistic expecting to get a job straight away. I think most of us are. Most students leaving flight schools think there's a job waiting. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Have a plan B.
I'm not trying to be negative, just want you to have your eyes wide open!!!!!