PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2001, 04:02
screwjack

Wink

M14P:

I got the impression that you got a bit lost here...

I think nobody is "hitting" on Airbus FBW a/c just because they simply don't like it. But if you carefully follow the history of AI since the introduction of their "new wonder bird" almost 14 years back (prototypes flying around and doing incredible things just to get more customers signing the order book, at the same time promising vast cuts in training budgets (cross crew qualification and so on...) and support costs - because "it is all so and so fail-safe and nobody can do wrong") it is my opinion that AI in general has demonstrated some sort of a serious "attitude" problem, when we are talking "safety".

This is what bothers many people, coming from "conventional" a/c and maybe being a bit too much pampered with manufacturer support, when it came down to problems.

Yes you're right, the B 737 has a Rudder PCU problem and same applies to their center tank/pack design (almost the entire product line). But I'm pretty sure that the guys in Seattle (not their legal department though) are as much concerned about it and trying to improve. Something of that nature was hard to be felt or seen from the folks at TLS - so far...

So I'm very much surprised and even delighted that they obviously have marked a change there recently. Well, keep on the good work, this is the more appropriate track anyways...

Screwjack