PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2009, 13:49
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantom Driver
Quote:
Saudia (as an example) used to brief -"Chart 11-1-dated xxx-any comments?". As supposed professionals, that really should be enough, i.e we're all looking at the correct chart.

Yoy make a serious disservice to the professionalism, discipline and competence of the Saudia pilots (albeit they were coming from, in my time, some 56 different nations). From a review of my notes I find on thier SOP:

LANDING BRIEFING
Where possible, prior to commencing descent, and once the type of approach has been decided upon, all crewmembers shall review the information on the relevant Jeppesen Terminal Chart. The PNF will call out for the other crewmembers at least the following information:
The approach chart date, number, airport and type of approach.
The MEA and MSA.
The field elevation and touchdown zone elevation.
A point, selected by the PF for an "Altitude Check" for which a glideslope crossing height is published, in order to ensure when passing that point the proper functioning of ground and airborne approach aid components, altimeters and other flight instruments. This point should be higher than 1000 ft AGL. For a non-precision approach, the point selected should normally be the FAF.

For a CAT I approach:
the DA/DH and visibility requirement.
For a CAT II approach:
the Radio Altimeter (RA) and RVR requirement. Also for a CAT II approach, the CAT I DA/DH and associated visibility requirement given on the CAT I approach chart.
For a non-precision Approach:
The MDA, missed approach point and associated visibility requirement

The missed approach procedure.
Verification of barometric and radio altimeter bug settings.
The PF shall discuss any other significant aspects of the approach and landing that he considers necessary, e.g. terrain, weather, runway conditions, MEL/CDL, and in case of holding expected: MDF, fuel available; and radio set-up, etc. The expected taxiway route to the parking position will also be discussed.

And I do not think it's changed much in recent years.
Regards
DOVES