PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2009, 13:35
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pleased I started this thread which came about because of something I read from another PPRUNER. There are some conclusions to draw already, I think.
Firstly the fact is the GA community does not have the resources to get together to present a “heavy” response to this.
Next we have to send our comments (objections!) to the applicant but there is no guarantee the applicant will include all submissions (does a turkey vote for Christmas?).
Next we have the very clear views of what some ATCO see as the “problem” of GA which is what is coming over in some comments.
Then we have the lack of response to very reasonable questions to our ATC friends who are clearly reading these threads but are unwilling to answer. For example a number of WHY questions were posed but not answered (why such a large area for example, why not get a better agreement with the military).
Why when the ATC manual clearly states that the standard ROCAS is ONLY to be issued when someone has asked for entry is it still used almost by rote? Even then I cannot remember any time frame being given by any ATCO in the last several years. I think it was an ATCO earlier that said if we are refused entry then we should report it to DAP so perhaps we should all take the time so to do. We may then just start to get a more appropriate service to GA and not be excluded. I have heard the arguments that GA does not pay but let us be clear the airspace that the airport grabs is not paid for either. I have said so many times that if the volume of controlled airspace had to be rented then I bet there would very soon be some massive shrinkage and we would not have to ask for quite so many transits of empty CAS.