PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1
Thread: V1
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2009, 09:08
CFMFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John - Agreed.It is this black and white view that I object to....the monkey see monkey do brigade even brief predictive windshear as a V1 -1 knot stop on a nil wind/CAVOK/high pressure day!

PEI - We actually agree on the decision "at the relatively slow speed it is safer to stop" but I have not got my point across. In my company if you abandon at 90 knots for a tyre failure you will be asked why you deviated from SOPs.

What I was seeking was clarification on peoples thoughts as to WHY they favour a course of action.

You say at the relatively slow speed it is safer to stop ... if the reason is not "that you are not confident of accelerating to V1 before running out of runway"...then please advise why you would stop.

What I was saying here about the aircraft being unsafe to fly is that if you are trying to accelerate on one set of wheel rims you may well not reach VR speed.

The only other thing I can think of which would cause a ban and yaw at 90 knots would be an engine failure...which would be a stop item anyway. Again here I was just trying to get the experience of someone who has had a double tyre failure as to if these were there symptoms.

Can't agree with your never assume comment though. We get paid mega bucks to make a decision...sometimes when you are above 80 knots (and as John describes it) at a margin below V1 things other than engine fire/failure/PWS will happen. Sticking with the procedure may well result in a take off considerably less safe than the low speed abort.