PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK RAF launches Afghan work-up with Merlin helicopters
Old 28th Aug 2009, 22:57
FireAxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't post here much but here goes!!!

I agree that the Chinook is a hugely capable aircraft (10 tons etc etc) and political decisions were made to buy the Merlin and not other types, however that doesn't change the facts as they are now and is largely irrelevant as the clock cannot be rolled back.

We have differing types for a range of jobs, yes Chinook can do most but it also has its drawbacks (wait for spindrier to pick himself up of the floor).

Merlin can do many but not all is a given however the point of fatigue whilst flying is very real and relevant and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand as 'bollox', this has come from the troops themselves so who are we to argue!

Another drawback of the Chinook is that it can be heard long before arrival whereas other types have a much reduced noise signature which may be of huge advantage in particular circumstances, again this has been commentated favourably on directly by the users.

The advantage of modern design, avionics and materials at times is offset by the complexity and engineering support however the Merlin brings a lot to the party (sigh, yes I know still not as much as the all revered nook!) and hopefully will complement with assets already in place.

Note- I said complement not compete which some seem to confuse.

SH and the differing types are not perfect and we should just play to each others strengths and minimise the weaknesses.

Last edited by FireAxe; 29th Aug 2009 at 02:19.