PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 22:23
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my era (sigh) 1968 to 1974, it was only one pilot twotter, two pilots DC3, most of us thought nothing of it, though PNG was a wild and woolly place then and it is not just the terain I am talking about. It was not uncommon for pilots to wear sidearms, and I ALWAYS stood on the wing so I could not get "jumped" when loading or unloading, because they would love to nick that gun. It was a interesting era and brought some adventures for us then young blokes. The runways were often in places that your average line pilot today would totally freak out at, and many were littered with unsuccessful attempts to take off or land, especially warbirds from both sides, a constant reminder that if you stuffed up........ I was then young, dumb and happy, and enjoyed it very much, but scared the sh$t out of myself on more than one occasion, (as we all did) but amazingly enough only lost a couple of pilots and one aircraft in the time I was there. (One of which I referred to earlier). Those in BNE who would like to meet some of the pilots who flew in those times, there is a reunion at New Farm in Oct, (I don't have the details as am packing, the wife has decreed we are moving) but Chimbu probably does, and will post accordingly, if not, I will when can get my head around this mess. The stories that came out of PNG should be recorded, as this was flying that will never happen again, and I am thinking of contacting Peter Fitzsimmons or pehaps Capt Geoff Litchfield who was always good at wielding a pen, to get it down on paper, before we all start going to that aircrew bar in the sky. (hopefully).