PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 28th Aug 2009, 19:51
muppetofthenorth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What i'm wandering is that as competition is so extreme, surely candidate A who has put down 1st choice pilot, 2nd choice ATC or WSO, is going to look more appealing to the selection board than candidate B who only has put down 1st choice pilot, and no 2nd choice???
It depends a lot on the reviewing officer at the time - each puts their own spin on the job and the decisions they make - but they're accepting you for your potential for one role, not six.

If you got the VIth Form Schol for a pilot, then the board is essentially assuming you'd remain a pilot all the way through. Whether you DE after completion of your A2s or then go on to university, they assume you're staying a pilot. If over time your medical side of things does not maintain [really only referring to eyesight here] then you are not liable to repay any scholarship money, so that shouldn't be a worry.

I'd always view it that if someone wants to be a pilot, then they really want to be a pilot and wouldn't really be happy doing anything else.

As has been said, VIth Form Schols are rarer than rocking horse poo, and only given out for [IIRC] two Branches in the first place. Essentially, if you put down that you're applying for a VIth Form Schol and put other Branch choices down, you're applying for something that doesn't exist, so why waste the time in your interview talking about another Branch they can't offer you?

IMO, pilots need that little bit of ego* to say "I'm awesome, of course you want me" so why not have a little confidence in yourself?

*obviously, some have quite a lot more than 'just a little bit'... Not that that's big or clever!

For the record: No, I'm not going in for Pilot