PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 17:35
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
411A

I have to say I am amazed a large jet aircraft operator is too cheap to provide approach charts for both pilots.

my 02 cents is if I am the PNF I want to know what flight path PF intends to fly. This could be as simple as "visual descent to join a 5 mile final for runway 09" any questions ? (For a clear and a million day to a familar airport) to a quite lengthly discussion (for a bad wx, unfamilar field, non radar, mountainous terrain approach).

I do think boiler plate descriptions of exactly what you are going to do at every phase of the appraoch and landing and possible overshoot, just get tuned out by the other guy. For eample; so your say you are going to raise the gear when you achieve positive rate..... Like there are other ways to operate the gear The things you want to talk about are the Gotcha items in the approach so extra vigilance is applied at the appropriate times.

Always flying with the same crew is good in many ways. It can be real poetry in motion as the crew devlopes a rhythm where the flight proceeds in such a smooth and inevitable way it is like magic. but you do have to guard against complaicency and any deviation from what is happening vs what you thought was going to happen, needs to be challenged immediately.